Several traffic pattern changes are expected as the Minnesota Department of Transportation’s Interstate 94 project proceeds with bridge and tunnel work in Minneapolis this summer. Beginning June 23, there will be several restrictions along I-94 and in the Lowry Hill Tunnel. The three-month bridge and tunnel work will require the westbound side of the tunnel be closed and two-way traffic be routed through the eastbound side of the tunnel. After bridge and tunnel work is complete on the westbound side, two-way traffic will shift to the completed side and work will begin on the eastbound tunnel.
Bridge and tunnel work begins at 10 p.m., Friday, June 23 with the closure of the eastbound tunnel until 5 a.m., Monday, June 26
Eastbound I-94 will be closed between I-394 and I-35W during this time.
During the June 23–25 weekend closures, Hennepin and Lyndale avenue ramps will be open. Please note that the Twin Cities Pride, Uptown Food Truck Festival, Earle Brown Days, the US Volleyball Tournament at the Convention Center and the Back to the 50s event at the State Fair are all taking place this coming weekend. Please plan accordingly and give yourself extra time to get to your destination.
On Monday, June 26, westbound side of the Lowry Hill Tunnel will close and both directions of traffic will travel through eastbound Lowry Tunnel.
Ramp from Highway 55 to eastbound I-94 is closed. Ramp from I-394 to eastbound I-94 is closed.
The following restrictions will be in place starting June 26:
- All trucks weighing more than 9,000 pounds, including school buses, will be prohibited from the Lowry Tunnel and detoured to I-35W, Highway 62, Highway 100 and back to I-94.
- Speed limit will be 40 mph from Highway 55 to I-35W
- Westbound I-94 will be two lanes
- Eastbound I-94 will be one late at Highway 55
- Northbound I-35W to I-94 west will be closed for 70 days.
- Fourth Avenue ramp to I-94 west will be open to emergency vehicles only
- Westbound I-94 to westbound I-394 will be closed.
- Westbound I-94 to westbound Highway 55 will be closed.
- Highway 55 to eastbound 94 will be closed for 70 days.
- Speed limit for the project north of Highway 55 is 50 mph.
Please drive carefully and plan for extended drive times.
Learn more about this project at http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/i94brooklyncntr/.
MnDOT has produced this video to explain the upcoming closures and traffic impacts.